Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tears of Joy!

I can't believe I held a baby turtle! As I tell people about turtles, I always talk about "hatchlings," but today, they are "baby turtles." Words can't describe the feeling, so I'm just going to post these first...


The last time I can remember being so overwhelmed by the beauty in this world was holding my friend's first-born, Jackson. If you have never stopped to look around you at every miracle happening in our world, please stop and consider: consider the gifts we are given every day; the gifts that are right before our eyes. Trust me, when you take time to think about how and why things happen--or don't happen--you appreciate everything, and everyone, around you so much more. Even better than my reaction was the reaction of the children surrounding the nest as we excavated. Some didn't realize what they were seeing was rare, while others did. I just love these pictures:




















Do you think they're close enough? :D

That night, a crowd gathered as we released them into the water. We walkers were crowd control to make sure no one stepped on a baby (especially me!) or interfered with their trek down the beach and into the gulf. There aren't many pictures because even the camera "red eye" can disorient the hatchlings.

Suzi, our director, always educating.

Waiting for darkness, the best cover.

The crowd gives the babies room to crawl.

Mr. Masferrer captures a turtle, sans flash.

For everyone who came to see, I hope this is a day they never forget.

I know I won't!

No comments:

Post a Comment